Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Day 329. Letting the Music Dictate

I started a larger painting on Sunday night, got about 2/3 of the way through, and stopped. I figured I'd have it finished by tonight, but the birth remains incomplete.  I haven't touched it, and I don't want it tainted by shortness of time.  As a result, I found myself sitting down tonight with no idea of what to draw.  I wasted time surfing the net, finding myself somehow watching Kanye West on a motorcycle with a topless Kim Kardashian in front of him.  I listened to the lyrics, and just thought, I must be getting old.

Cue Paul McCartney and Wings, "Band on the Run."  This I understand and love.  As soon as the needle hits the vinyl, and I hear those first notes coming out of the guitar, my spirits lift.  (And always, on the rare occasions I simply have the radio on in the car and you hear those notes, well, I'm floating above the road like Herbie the Love Bug.  Happiness guaranteed!  The day my spirit is unable to be lifted by that opening melody is the day I might as well hang it up.

Okay, so this painting has no meaning behind it, only a great album.  Like yesterday, I let the music dictate the direction of hand to paint to surface.  Here's who emerged.


The album in its entirety--you MUST listen to the entire thing loudly--so great.  Grab a piece of paper and a paintbrush while you're at it.




No comments:

Post a Comment