Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Day 2. A Love Story ($15) and George Harrison

I've had a leftover piece of cardboard sitting around for quite awhile.  I liked the shape of it--it was from a box flap of a Williams-Sonoma "Baked" mix.  (You know, Baked, right?  Matt Lewis' and Renato Poliafito's fantastic bakery in Brooklyn-- http://www.bakednyc.com/.)  Anyway, I saved this little piece of cardboard. I had bought a paper puncher that made little curly-q designs, and I tried it out on the cardboard.  Interesting I thought.  I decided to paint it lime green, but still didn't know where it was heading. Finally, about 8 months later, and sick of it hanging around in its mostly naked state, I painted it on either side and strung it up.  It is now a love story.

Natasha:  "Reginald, I love you for your killer sideburns and your fabulous purple, Prince-like jacket that would look fabulous on me."


Reginald:  "Natasha, I love you for your Angelina Jolie-like jawline and for your purple eyeshadow which matches my purple, Prince-like jacket--complete with hanky.  We're made for each other."

People have made relationships out of less... (-;

On another note, I just happened to catch Martin Scorsese's HBO documentary, "George Harrison:  Living in the Material World" from 2011. It's the 3rd time I've seen it, but it captivates me as if it's completely brand new.  Sometimes I sit and draw images/faces while I watch a movie.  They are fast sketches and because the film's images are moving so quickly, often a sketch will contain several different shots of one person or different features of several people.  In one of my drawings, I have a cap of Yoko Ono, a body and chair out of my imagination, and a pattern from the quick shot of a doorway.

The documentary, (both parts I and II), is so beautiful.  The largest gift I get from it is George's search for getting something deeper than material things out of this journey on earth.  His yearning to connect with a pathway that leads to enlightenment, whatever that may mean to each of us, and which for him was being a spiritual being.  I find great comfort in his matter-of-fact stance that everything must change.  "You have to change.  That's what the physical world is about," he says. 

So, when I'm sad as I watch things slip away, people move away, I'm going to try to remember his calm belief in the fact that "All Things Must Pass."


No comments:

Post a Comment