Monday, April 21, 2014

No Despair If You Follow Your Heart (No Longer Available)

This painting emerged when I smeared some molding paste on a canvas.  I saw a face in the lower left-hand side and it grew from there.  I knew I wanted to include some sort of quote about feeling down, but becoming lifted when you follow your heart even if you don't know where it's leading.  That, of course, is my feeling about art, a complete lifesaver in my life.  I searched for quotes, and these two were my favorites and top contenders:

"The heart has its reasons which reason knows not."  --Blaise Pascal
and my ultimate favorite:
"When the heart speaks, the mind finds it indecent to object."  --Milan Kundera, The Unbearable Lightness of Being


I was going with that one, going with it like the tearful, yet hopeful figure in the painting floating to his destiny.  Somehow, though, it was just not succinct enough, and it didn't reflect what I felt was the initial feeling of this fellow:  Despair.

And then I thought, "No despair, if you follow your heart."  The message on the painting is a bit of a puzzle, which a life's journey oftentimes end up being, no?  I felt it hit exactly what I was trying to express.



Here he is hanging outside in setting sun:


And one more shot floating up through the just blossoming magnolia tree:

No comments:

Post a Comment