Friday, June 20, 2014

Enervating Return

I'm tired. 

Maybe it's because we had an all-day event at the hospital yesterday (all's well now).  That procedure combined with an art show last week has me moving in slow motion, or as my former Spanish student Morgan used to say, "walking through pudding."  And it's hot out...muggy.  I say to myself, I just want to be quiet in this pudding state. 

I was starting to formulate words for this post while I walked my dog.  A song started playing in my head from the 1996 movie, "Picture Perfect" with Jennifer Aniston and Kevin Bacon.  The two are sitting at a tennis match at about 34:57 when you hear:

"Now I'm quiet, quiet as a mouse can be,
but inside my head it's loud as a cavalry." 

(By the way, no matter what way I Google this with "Lyrics" or "soundtrack," I can't figure out the name so help me if you know it.)  Regardless, this was way too chipper of a melody to go with my feelings.  Then I smelled the heavy scent of petunias in the sticky night and saw lightning bugs hovering lazily over the grass, and I thought, "Warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air."  Yes, that reflected my feelings better.

Anyway, perhaps this is why I'm finding myself in my last two posts drawing tired, gritty men at the end of a long journey.  This latest painting looks to me like a Chinese warrior (but he doesn't look Chinese) coming home, snowflakes or swirling buds lending a dreaminess to what awaits him.  It's been quite some time since I've seen Zhang Yimou's, "House of Flying Daggers," (2004), but that's what it reminds me of.  By the way, if you haven't seen that movie, it is magical, mystical, tragic, and painfully beautiful.  Do yourself a favor and watch it.  I think I'll re-watch it myself soon, followed by a long sleep to shake this ennui.




"House of Flying Daggers"
 

The Eagles - "Hotel California"





No comments:

Post a Comment