Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Flock of Finches from Nowhere

Flock of Finches from Nowhere


Here's something surprising, even to me, and I'm the person who experienced it!  This particular drawing led me to being paralyzed artistically for awhile.  About a month ago, I had drawn that object to the right--well, I filled it out much more in this final creation--and then didn't know where to head with it.  I liked it so much, I didn't want to ruin it.  Never a good thing, really.  I would stare at it.  I would pick it up and think, where am I going with this?  I wanted to use it desperately, but couldn't move forward with it.  I didn't want to work on anything else, so it just sat on my table.  

I finally did get with the program again and was inspired by other thoughts and ideas and made different art.  But it wasn't until this past weekend when I was walking my dogs that I finally knew what to do.  I was walking past some low-lying purple-flowered bushes in an alley, and they were loaded with yellow jackets.  I wasn't afraid, but rather happy to see bees in this world and at work.  I tried to count them, but there had to be at least thirty.  Their plump black and yellow bodies made me happy.

Later while walking on a sidewalk on a different street, several yellow-breasted finches flew by me in a flash!  I know hummingbirds are way faster, but these babies were MOVING.  Where did they come from?  They were there and then then were gone.  It was almost like a mirage, but I saw them.  I saw their brilliantly-colored chests!  What is it about that beautiful yellow that widens the eyes, and makes the heart jump a little?  Contrasted against jet black, it causes even more of a distraction and elation.

The black and yellow bees and the yellow and black birds of the world--I felt like they gave me a good omen, moving at the speed of light.

2 comments:

  1. Yay for unexpected inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We take it from all avenues and sources and the grace of the universe, Sheila! (-:

      Delete