Thursday, May 8, 2014

Remembering

Sometimes I sit down at my computer desk, which also doubles as my painting area, because I have no other room to paint, and I will get this urge.  An urge of unrest, of wanting to--actually needing to, make something.  I stare at my paint.  I can tell that nothing will make me feel better except to paint.  And then...off I go.  I started this at 10 p.m.   I couldn't help myself.

I've been watching the "Eyes of Laura Mars" while I put this baby together.  Well, I've been "listening" to it.  Again, I don't know why I've been needing to see/listen to this 1978 relic (with Faye Dunaway and a young Tommy Lee Jones).  I don't question my weird cravings.  It's just like when my body says, eat some potatoes, and I say o.k., and whirl up some hash browns in a Spanish omelet!  Back to the movie.  I thought I was being directed by the universe to paint Faye Dunaway or something, but the gal that emerged is loosely based on a character in the movie "Amelie."  A woman reminiscing about her husband who left her and ran away with his secretary years ago.

For some reason I like painting older people or forlorn people when I paint portraits.  I'm not sure why.  Well, maybe I do.  There's something very interesting to me about more complex human emotions...those that touch a yearning inside.  They don't make me sad; rather, I see a beauty in their vulnerability.

Remembering
9" x 12"

Barbara Streisand singing theme ("Prisoner") from "Eyes of Laura Mars"


 A little film clip.


Now it's the wee hours of the morning, and I need to clean my brushes, take a bath, go to bed, and lie in bed and think, why did I stay up so late during the work week?!?!?!  WHAT am I doing?  What can I do? When the muse calls, you must obey.

No comments:

Post a Comment