Sunday, November 16, 2014

Mr. State Trooper

No, I wasn't recently stopped by a state trooper nor had a close call.  It's just that I've been fighting a cold, finally got an antibiotic, and got worse after taking it.  I think what I really have is the flu, and I don't feel good.  My dogs and I watched about twelve million episodes of Sex and the City today, barely budging from my couch.  I never just lie on the couch watching the tele, but man, I just am beat.  Ugh.

Anyway, I sat in front of my computer for a moment, and just wanted to hear something dark, ya' know?  I thought immediately, "Nebraska,"  Bruce Springsteen's 5-star murky, storytelling masterpiece, and I just needed to hear those sharp, echoing, howls of his...like calls in the inky darkness of endless, black highway.  Listened to it over and over again while I drew something.  It's been awhile.

I have been busy, and busy, and busy again, turning myself into a sliver, like a pencil pushed into an electric sharpener for too long, until all the wood has been shaved away and only a stub is left. Tired, baby.  I'm so grateful for the cold.  I'm ready to hibernate.


Bruce Springsteen - "State Trooper" from "Nebraska" (1982)


No comments:

Post a Comment