Monday, August 11, 2014

Robin Williams

Goodbye, Robin Williams.  My heart aches for you.

You were a part of my whole life from "Mork and Mindy" forward.  It was your darker roles that showed, in my humble opinion, your talented soul.  I mean, who could imitate your manic comedic genius, perhaps only Jim Carrey comes close to that?  Steve Martin also, had that crazy body movement, but slowed down to the nth degree in comparison to you.  But it was the sweetness of your soul, the sadness in your twinkling eyes--how could those two things be combined?--that showed your gentleness and awesome talent.

I remember your malevolent turn in "Insomnia" with Al Pacino and Hilary Swank that shocked me at your depth.  I saw them all--"The World According to Garp," "Good Morning, Vietnam," but that was the one that exposed me to what was inside of you.

And I will never forget my favorite part of "Good Will Hunting."  Your comment to Matt Damon's "Will" about living life, loving a woman, seeing Michelangelo's creations in person...you were so touching.

I'm so sorry you had pain in your life.  Isn't it amazing how many comedic geniuses have that ache touching them inside?  I hope you are at peace, dear Robin, and your pain has ended.  Thank you for all your gifts that you shared so generously with this world.


"Good Will Hunting" - Bench Scene


One day later, here's the best article I have read so far on his struggle:  Robin Williams.

Later still, this sane and compassionate one from Flavorwire:
Robin Williams and the Myth of Battling Depression
and this from The New Yorker"Suicide: A Crime of Lonliness."

No comments:

Post a Comment