Saturday, August 16, 2014

The Girl Most Likely To

Somewhere in the deep recesses of my mind, I hold an image of a made for t.v. movie with Stockard Channing.  I just remember her walking down a hospital hallway in a blue peignoir set, her plastic surgery bandages removed, and she, beautiful, perfect in early 1970's makeup and high, black bouffant, sprayed and flowing. It must have made quite an impression on my very young brain...a wonderful, Miss America version of "Frankenstein!"*

Up late one night several weeks ago, the movie popped into my head again, as my synapses brought it forward for another 10-year visitation.  I wondered in Amazon carried it.  Already on YouTube, my fingers did a little tap dance on my keyboard, and viola!  The whole dang movie is on there in 5 parts.  C-R-A-Z-Y.  A young Stockard Channing, Fred Grandy (prior to Gopher on the "Love Boat") and a younger Ed Asner.  He stilled looked old...just youngish old.  Uh huh.

The real kicker was that in the opening credits, who was one of the screenwriters, but Joan Rivers!  Ah, Joan.  You are something.  You've done it all; you're still kicking; and I just don't think people realize all that you've accomplished.  Who knew you had written a black comedy 12,000 years ago!

P.S. can I just insert my most favorite of Joan River's quotes?  I'm going to.  It's super spicy, so if you're offended, read no further.  Remember, I warned you.  O.K., this is from years ago on Fashion Police.  She was commenting on Zooey Deschanel, then having acted in many independent films, and Joan said,
"Zooey Deschanel is so quirky, her clitoris is a Skittle."  OMG, it cracks me up to this day!

Um, alright, back to the subject at hand.  This little flick is super dated, but you know, you can watch it in an instant.  Besides, you'll truly be amazed at how far movie make-up and nose prosthetics have come. (-;
(Just watch the first clip, and you can click on each successive part on YouTube--you're all super smart...you know how it works!)

Post-Surgery Stockard

"The Girl Most Likely To" (Part I)

*Just a side note, as I type this, I remember Isaac Mizrahi recalling in "Unzipped", one of my favorite documentaries of all time, how Loretta Young in  "The Call of the Wild" was about to die, and he says, "if you're going to freeze on the tundra, you might as well do it with your makeup unsmudged."  Those Hollywood stars, they sure have their maquillage mastered in the most dire of circumstances!


Here's also a fabulous little clip of "Unzipped".

No comments:

Post a Comment