Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Day 253. Stretch Armstrong Brain

Does anyone remember those "Stretch Armstrong" toys from the late '70's and early '80's?  You could pull his arms and legs for days and then he would spring back into shape.  His body had a heavy, doughy feel, and not unlike a rising loaf, you could press your finger into his chest, making an indentation, and it would slowly fill in back into place.  (My childhood neighbor, Shawn Flannery and his friend, once pulled it so far that his appendages did actually break off--not an easy thing to do.)

Anyway, that's what I need to do to my brain right now.  You see, I'm thinking about something, some thoughts of mine about Bob Dylan, Kurt Cobain, Brittany Spears, and Miley Cyrus.  I don't have it completely thought out--I don't have my "brain" wrapped around exactly what I want to say or I haven't thought about it deeply enough yet.  That's why I need a "Stretch Armstrong" brain right now.  I need to pull it, stretch it around these thoughts so I can be clear.

I once told a friend from long ago, Lisa K., that I sometimes would just like the time to meditate on a single word or a single sentence.  To dive deeply into what something really means.  So maybe that's the case here--not just time to pull my hands around gray matter, but the time to do it.




Here's one of those fabulously cheesy commercials from way back when:  Stretch Armstrong and Stretch Monster!


No comments:

Post a Comment