Monday, November 18, 2013

Day 328. CocoRosie - Tahiti Rain Song

Recenty I have been revisiting one of my favorite albums, CocoRosie's "La Maison de Mon RĂªve" (the house of my dreams or my dream house). It was the sisters' first album, released in 2004.  Every song is a standout, but my favorites are "By Your Side," "Butterscotch," "West Side," "Madonna," Lyla," and "Tahiti Rain Song." Uh, yeah.  What was the point of listing them-I just listed the entire album-ha! Their music is described as Freak Folk.  Love it!  Rooster crowing, children playing, all sorts of weird things going on combined with beautiful melodies.

Back to the point, I picture someone capturing that mesmerizing rhythm in "Tahiti Rain Song," clapping the hands, tapping the feet, to hypnotic effect.  This fellow emerged while I was listening to the album, and this song in particular.  Mythical, moving, Native American sounding flute with an Afrocentric rhythm.



P.S.  The story of CocoRosie really is an amazing one. They are American sisters, separated, one going off to become an opera singer in Paris, the other a street singer in NYC.  They ended up in Paris together, reunited, and became CocoRosie, their nicknames merged.  I won't recount their whole story, but here's Wikipedia's link (Wikipedia-CocoRosie) as well as their website http://cocorosiemusic.com/.

Listen:  "Tahiti Rain Song"



Tahiti Rain Song
Oh sailor, oh sail me
Silver mast do impale me
Oh windless, oh windy
Remind me, rewind me
Oh laughter, oh laughless
Just sing this, just mean this
Infinity whispered to me
A mumble so dreamy
A soft sound so creamy
So dreamy, so dreamy
Infinity whispered to me
A mumble so dreamy
A soft sound so creamy
So dreamy, so dreamy
So dreamy, so dreamy

No comments:

Post a Comment