Sunday, January 18, 2015

Cory McCrory

An artist friend of mine tagged me on Facebook to show 3 pieces of my art for 5 days.  Instead, I thought I would write a post on her!

I first spotted ceramic artist, Cory McCrory, at a Chicago-area art fair.  Don't you love that rhyming name?  She had won a first place blue ribbon for "Best in Show," an award she wins quite frequently.  I know I completely agreed with the judges--I spent more time at her booth than any other.  Unfortunately I was out of dough by the time I spotted her, and she was swarmed with people so I didn't get a chance to speak to her either.

A year or two later, or local art league featured her as a speaker!  Unbelievable!  My work schedule totally conflicted with her arrival, but I begged and cajoled and finally got my shift switched.

Cory is originally from Connecticut and somehow landed in the Midwest.  She is down-to-earth and generous in sharing her technique.  Cory makes the most amazing, Willy-Wonky-Dr.-Seuss-like-beautiful-crazy teapots you have ever seen!  Here's her Pinterest site to follow her.

Anyway, here's the vase and head that I bought from her that night--I couldn't let it get past me, I loved it so much!  Aren't they fantastic?!?!?



This past November, I went to another Cory show, this one featuring about 5 other artists all showing together in a farmhouse, owned by one of them. (I bought items from 3 or the 5 of them--it was a great show!  I met a lovely English artist, Jane, there as well.) My husband and I had dropped some of my paintings off at a gallery by Chicago, and then we found Cory.  Our GPS wasn't working too well around there...good thing Kennyman knows what I call, directional directions (north, south, east, west...yes, I am incapable of this.  I need people to say, "turn right, turn left.")



If you are familiar with my art at all, I am completely obsessed with eyes.  I don't know why.  Some people collect turtles, you know?  I just happen to love googly eyes, freaky eyes, sad eyes, crazy eyes...well, you get my drift.  Needless to say, I had to have this wall hanging/butter dish of Cory's.


I also wanted to buy a ring that had a coiled bird coming out of it, but it wasn't the right size.  Eventually that will be on my finger! (-:

Here's her fabu business card.


Some of Cory's teapots.




No comments:

Post a Comment