Thursday, January 15, 2015

Straight-Edge Razor

I've been up since 3:45 a.m.  Frustrated with a couple of situations at work, frustrated with other things.  I started this painting last night, in a sort of daze.  Smearing different colors on the canvas, not sure where I was going.  I saw a couple of different faces in the paint, but just kept drawing the brush over and through them.  Finally I thought with the green color, I would make some sort of frog man.

While I laid in bed awake, awake, awake, I finally thought, fuck it, and got up and painted for several hours.

I had been eating Wonderful Salt & Pepper Pistachios the night before and my shells were still on my desk.  Yes, that's right.  And I picked up a half shell and used it as a sort of paintbrush with yellow oil paint to put on some bumps and ridges to this fellow.  I saw his arms, the black on the chin and extending into the purple looked like whiskers/flying whiskers so that's where the straight-edge razor came it.

Mostly I was once again trying to loosen the grip in my chest and stomach of these aggravations so I was letting my hand just move, applying color randomly.  Sometimes I think the best things I make are out of trying to alleviate darker frustrations and feelings.

I'm happy with the painting.  I'm very tired, too.

9" x 12" Acrylic, Oil, India Ink


6 comments:

  1. Hope you can sneak a nap in later. I woke up way to early. Weird dream and then suddenly I was wide awake. Hoping I can get back to sleep for a bit. Awesome way to get your mind off your troubles Jill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sheila. I did go back to bed for an hour. (-: And the painting did help, usually the only thing that will. Thanks, baby. (-:

      Delete
  2. Art is always a medium to relieve frustrations. Love the painting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Brian! I couldn't agree more. (-: I'm so glad you like it. I like this one a lot myself. (-:

      Delete
  3. I love your painting and your struggle. I have these night...go stomping round the house in the dark. Getting it all out on paper or canvas is a crazy awesome feeling. Painting with Pistachios...genius!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claire--Thought I replied to this, but see it's disappeared. First of all, thank you very much for your comments! I am glad, too, that I am not the only one who feels this way! So true that being creative helps get the frustrations out. I've been know to paint with eyeshadow and lipstick before if they're nearby me while making art--everything is up for grabs! Btw, that pistachio shell actually worked very well! ha! Thanks again for stopping by.

      Delete