Friday, January 16, 2015

Picasso Baby

The painters I have loved most? MY influences?  Picasso, Basquiat, Van Gogh, Alice Neel, Max Beckmann, Egon Schiele, de Kooning, Clemente, Chagall, Matisse, Guston, Fischl, even the smeared gruesomeness of Bacon. The majority of them possess the strong black line and invading color that call to me.

Last night I saw that the deadline for a "nude" contest was today.  I thought, could I possibly do something to participate?  I started to draw on 11" x 14" Bristol while choosing something from my DVR to accompany me.  Well, really I was looking to clear it out since I only had 4% recording availability left, still having shows as far back as 2013 on there.  I run across Jay Z's "Picasso Baby:  A Performance Art Film" directed by Mark Romanek.  I watch it again, drawing my nude, and it flows out of me.  I give her a chain, because, naturally you know, she's listening to Jay Z.

I painted my au naturel babe tonight.  I toyed with leaving her just black and white, with a smearing of smudge and black ink.  There's something about that singular strong black line that I love so.

By the way, I couldn't delete, "Picasso, Baby."  I mean, the energy, the famous people, the genius of rhyme, the mentioning of so many of my influences and great art museums.  Guess I'll have to expand upon that 4% by deleting "Moonstruck."  Oh, the pain!

Who are your favorite artists?  Even if you have the same list as I do, or even just a few of them, we're never going to produce the same art.  We're a mixture of so many things, so many influences, our own abilities, that we'll always come up with something different.  How horrible it would be not to put our own souls and distinct talent into what we're trying to express on paper, canvas, building wall.  Be influenced.  And then be an influencer.

Completed.

How she started.

With chain.


Background in.

 Jay Z's "Picasso Baby:  A Performance Art Film"







No comments:

Post a Comment