Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Day 143. Jill Gets a New Pair of Glasses, Part I

Ask anyone who knows me, and they'll tell you, I am a medical wimp.  If I have to drive past a hospital, my hands start sweating.  I just have a low tolerance for pain and spin into a panic attack at the thought of a medical procedure. )-:

Usually I can tolerate the eye doctor, though.  I always think, here's a doctor's office I can handle--no pain involved.  The only slight discomfort are those dilating drops (mydriatic medications) they put into your eyes to check for glaucoma.  First the nurse puts some in and then the doctor.

Well this past week, I only got 4 hours of sleep the day of my appointment.  Perhaps my poor tired eyes are the reason that when those drops hit my eyeballs, my body about hit the roof!  Ouch!!!

The nurse put drops in my left eye that caused me to shut both eyes so tightly, nary a crowbar could open them!  However, this chiquita in a split-second went in for the right eye and had it pried open so fast and so wide, I marveled at the feat even in my pain.

"Wow," I explained.  "I can't believe you were able to get my other eye open."

"I'm a mother of two boys,"  she smugly tells me.

That explains it.





 Me:  "Why are these walls the same color as those drops you're putting in my eyes?"

Nurse:  "Oh, another patient's eye exploded, but that won't happen to you."

Me:  "Aaargh!  The pain!  Ouch!"

Nurse:  "It doesn't hurt.  Just use your kleenex."




No comments:

Post a Comment