Monday, May 20, 2013

Day 146. How Do You Make Art in the Face of Tragedy? (No Longer Available)

If part of making art is your reaction or interpretation of everyday events, how do you make art in the face of tragedy? I have been watching the videos of the destruction in Oklahoma and Missouri today, and I'm not sure how I transfer the dreadful images shown onto a canvas.

Why always a loss of children or anyone or why 80 horses on one farm, horrific destruction, unfathomable loss, recognizable life gone, unrecognizable surroundings now the norm?

The depth and the breadth of this storm..I can't imagine the terror felt.  Back in 2004, 3 miles from our home, a tornado went through a town, taking half of the downtown with it, killing 8 people instantly, and causing the loss of 100 homes.  We had our roof replaced as did many people around us.  We thought that was horrible...and it was; but, I can't even begin to comprehend this monster twister and its aftermath.  I'm so sorry, Oklahoma, Kansas, Arkansas, and Missouri.





No comments:

Post a Comment